Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Did he really say that?

Romney: My sons aren't in military, but are serving nation by 'helping me get elected'

At an "Ask Mitt Anything" forum this morning in Bettendorf, Iowa, GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney was quizzed about whether any of his five sons are serving in the U.S. military.

USA TODAY's Susan Page, who was there, reports that this was his response:

"The good news is, we have a volunteer Army and that's the way we're going to keep it. My sons are adults. They've chosen not to serve in the military in active duty and I respect their decision in that regard. ... And one of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I'd be a great president."

Romney then spoke about how his son Josh and his family are driving across Iowa in a recreational vehicle to help promote the campaign.

Asked if she was satisfied by Romney's answer, Griffiths said:

"Of course not. He told me the way his sons are showing support for the military of our nation is to buy a Winnebago and tour across Iowa and help him get elected."

No comments: