Friday, April 25, 2008

What I Meant to Say.....

The DailyKos has a great post today quoting Terry McAuliffe's book on his exchange with Carl Levin over moving up their primary in 2004

"I'm going outside the primary window," [Michigan Sen. Carl Levin] told me definitively.

"If I allow you to do that, the whole system collapses," I said. "We will have chaos. I let you make your case to the DNC, and we voted unanimously and you lost."

He kept insisting that they were going to move up Michigan on their own, even though if they did that, they would lose half their delegates. By that point Carl and I were leaning toward each other over a table in the middle of the room, shouting and dropping the occasional expletive.

"You won't deny us seats at the convention," he said.

"Carl, take it to the bank," I said. "They will not get a credential. The closest they'll get to Boston will be watching it on television. I will not let you break this entire nominating process for one state. The rules are the rules. If you want to call my bluff, Carl, you go ahead and do it."

We glared at each other some more, but there was nothing much left to say. I was holding all the cards and Levin knew it.

[Source: McAuliffe, Terry. What A Party!, p. 325.]


Yup, this is the same guy that wants the votes counted this time. With Harold Ickes making similar pronouncements before signing up for the Clinton campaign it will be increasingly difficult to sell the public (and more importantly SuperDelegates) their current line of bull.

No comments: