Sunday, May 11, 2008

Disecting "Ditto Heads"

There is a girl that used to work for me that has a real lot going for her. She graduated 7th in her class at a good business school, recently ran the Boston Marathon, has done well in her 5 years with the company consistently moving up. Yet whenever I talk to her I can't see past her biggest glaring weakness......she is a devout "ditto head".

I really do respect people with different opinions, I regularly read right leaning blogs and 'news' sites. I occasionally listen to Fox Radio on my way home, but Rush Limbaugh I don't get. The guy is a complete zero. From his mocking Michael J Fox, to his hypocritical drug dependency, to his not only misguided but often delusional views, I just don't get how smart people can listen to him and buy it all hook line and sinker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm full aware that there are plenty of people out there that look for someone ill informed appealing to their darkest fears. I get that, I don't really even blame Rush for carving out a good living appealing to this element. What I do not understand are those that are pretty intelligent, grounded, and reasonable that don't see through this act.

So what gives, how is it that bright people listen and fall for this chameleon hook, hook, line and sinker?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same way it's possible for Hillary Clinton to receive millions and millions of votes.

Anonymous said...

This came to mind when I read your post on the WSJ article "10 Things...": "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?" Think about your answer to that Man when you meet Him.