Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Mixed Bag

It's been a few days since I last posted and even those were bored ramblings while watching 10 hours of recitals this weekend. So I have a few thoughts stored up for this week's mixed bag.

Speaking of recitals, every year I wonder why we torture ourselves/kids this time of year. My son was signed up for soccer (which I coached) and baseball, my daughter had dance three days a week, and I also squeezed in all the Celtic home playoff games. Spring was a blur and I barely had time to go to the gym. That will end right next week. My wife, kids, and I are all spent and ready for a little r&r vacation to kick off the summer.

**************************************************************************

Don Imus put his foot in his mouth the other day implying that Pacman Jones legal troubles were because he was black. He later changed his story to say that he was merely saying that he was getting a bum rap because he was black. He only changed his story to save his job. But really, why are we so sensitive. Yes he was making a derogative comment about blacks, but aren't his listeners adult enough to discern between a weak attempt at humor and real malice. My take is that either you agree with his premise or are mature enough to hear him say that, grumble a minute and move on. I can hear politically incorrect remarks and laugh or not and move on. His comments on the Rutgers girls were more egregious but if you don't like his comments, don't listen. If enough people don't listen, then he should be fired. That is why I stopped listening to the two racist morning men on WEEI Dennis and Callahan.

**************************************************************************
I know there was a lot of surprise that Obama and McCain raised about the same amount of money in May. Let me put your concerns to rest (if you support Obama). This month Obama will raise close to $70mil, 3 x John McCain's take. This will come from his major donors most of whom only contributed to the primary fund and can now donate another $2300. Plus he will get a good portion of large Clinton donors that can donate $4600 each ($2300 for the primary and $2300 for the general). Additionally he will get his standard $20mil from internet donors (quick estimate is that he has raised $12mil online since Friday). The money disparity will only increase from here as the party coalesces behind him.
**************************************************************************
Speaking of Obama, I am pegging his Electoral Vote total at >350. This will be a Reagan-Mondale thumping. Surprise wins will come from Alaska, Georgia, Louisiana, and North Carolina. I'll do a whole post on why this will be such a resounding Celtic like thumping when I am back from vacation.

**************************************************************************
Speaking of the Celtics, the NBA draft is tomorrow (Thursday), my last fix until October. I promise not to do a post on this topic tomorrow.

**************************************************************************
George Bush has 208 days left in office to try to accomplish anything. Can you ever remember a President less concerned with his legacy than this idiot? He is too lazy to make the effort.

**************************************************************************
While we are on the topic of fear mongering useless Republicans, did you see McCain's Campaign Manager saying that it would be good for McCain's candidacy if there were another terrorist attack. Great idea, when can we schedule that? For him to say this it is either a) a case of a complete lack of message discipline on McCain's team or b) a butchered attempt a Bushlike fear mongering. I am going to stick with my belief that you shouldn't look for conspiracies where incompetence is a more likely scenario so I am going to pick a.
Just one of the major differences between the two campaigns. Barack vs Hillary was a case of a Major League team vs a good AAA team. Barack vs McCain is more like a Major League team vs a high school team. The only saving grace for McCain is that the RNC is pretty strong.

**************************************************************************


No comments: