Sunday, October 19, 2008

Playing to the Base

I give credit to McCain in one respect, he said what you would expect about Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama.

blah blah blah. the only endorsements that matters are voters on November 4th. Blah blah blah. 4 other Secretaries of State support my campaign.

It was predictable but acceptable. Of course he is not happy about Colin Powell's endorsement but what else is he going to say?

Update: I spoke too soon about McCain. He had this angry gem this evening:

McCain response: "Only an unproven and inexperienced politician like Barack Obama would have to rely so heavily on an another man's resume in making the case for his own candidacy...."

I guess the fact Obama was kicking his ass before this endorsement slipped his mind. Maybe just maybe Obama was doing pretty well on his own, but this just helps to start closing it out.

Out comes Matt Drudge and Rush Limbaugh. Collectively, these two have seen their stock drop faster than Wall Street. Rush Limbaugh tried to influence his own parties primary to anyone but Huckabee and McCain and who were the last two standing? Matt Drudge on the other hand has had no luck in driving the dialogue that he has in the last two elections. So how do these two react to the Powell endorsement?

First Limbaugh
"Secretary Powell says his endorsement is not about race... OK, fine. I am now researching his past endorsements to see if I can find all the inexperienced, very liberal, white candidates he has endorsed. I'll let you know what I come up with."
and Drudge

Yes, of course. Someone that has served Reagan and two Bushes honorably is going to support someone completely inadequate for President solely on the color of his skin. I'm sure for the wing nuts in their party they will eat this up. I'm sure some of the guys I work with who repeat these talking points like they are on commission will be spouting these words to a tee.

But maybe I'm mis-reading it, but if feels like independents are getting tired of this. Maybe this worked in 2004 when the base was a lot bigger, but it really feels like people will not be fooled this time. Maybe Obama should have changed his campaign theme to "We Won't be Fooled Again".

Update 2:
Just occurred to me. Do you think Joe Lieberman endorsed McCain because he is white? I don't believe it for a minute, but it should be no less of a stretch than Powell picking Obama because he is black.

No comments: